Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New Altec Magnificents

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member johnny_fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New Altec Magnificents

    I finally found a nice pair of Mags. Been looking for about a year. I think my pair were made In 8/1969. Do the grills come out? Some of the fabric has come loose. I can probably sneak some adhesive behind the wood If I have to. I see the wood Is warped on both bottoms of the lattice In the same exact place. Thanks for any help Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec Magnificents


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    that's sweet. i mean really sweet.
    Sonic Barbarian

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    I like the Heathkit green/gray component color.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    Very nice!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_fever View Post
    I think my pair were made In 8/1969 Rick
    391YWK
    391=Altec
    Y=year 19?Y you have to guess the ?
    WK=week

    391644=19?6 week 44

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec Magnificents


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    Quote Originally Posted by dbale View Post
    391YWK
    391=Altec
    Y=year 19?Y you have to guess the ?
    WK=week

    391644=19?6 week 44
    Not too hard to guess. 416 did not exist before 1964. Those have old style frames. Almost certainly before 1975. The final clue is the color. They are gonna be 60's and whatever year/week. I suppose you could argue 64/74. But I would vote 60's
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member johnny_fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    Ser# Is 391908. I was thinking 08 was month loops. My grill cloth has come loose In some spots. Whats the best way to adhere glue or adhesive? I can apply from the front. I pulled the drivers to inspect cloth from the back. Cant imagine attempting to pull the brittle lattice. That 511 horn (802D) Is giant. Pics are deceiving. Thanks Rick

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec Magnificents


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    So late Feb 1969. Towards the end before the switch to black drivers..
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: New Altec Magnificents

    When new, the Valencia's grill could usually be popped out, so assume yours would too originally, though over time they become quite brittle, so carefully prying off one of the side strips to slide it out seems the way to go. Never tried to repair one in place or if it's even possible to do it to like new, so your guess is as good as mine.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.